Bedford is a community in Middlesex Region, Massachusetts, United States. It is within the Greater Boston area, 15 miles (24 kilometres) north-west of the city of Boston. The population of Bedford was 13,320 at the 2010 census.
The land now within the limits of Bedford was first worked out by Europeans around 1640. In 1729 it was integrated from a portion of Concord (regarding 2/5 of Bedford) and also a portion of Billerica (about 3/5 of Bedford).
In 1630, John Winthrop, as well as Thomas Dudley of the Massachusetts Bay Firm, showed up aboard the Arabella from Yarmouth, England. After a difficult ten-week voyage, they came down on the shores of the New World, with Salem, as well as Boston Harbor, is the Arabella's earliest destinations. In 1637, the General Court of Massachusetts provided some 2,200 acres (9 kilometers) of land, consisting of Huckins Ranch land to the very first governor, John Winthrop, as well as to Replacement Governor Thomas Dudley. The following year, the two males consented to divide the land to ensure that the parcel south of the two large boulders by the Concord River (Sibling Rocks) came from Guv Winthrop and also north of the Rocks was to come from Replacement Governor Dudley. Later, Dudley became governor. Dudley's son Rev. Samuel Dudley as well as Winthrop's child Mary were married; therefore Brothers Rocks were so named as a result of this marital relationship of households.
" By the rude bridge that arched the flooding, their flag to April's wind spread out - here once the embattled farmers stood, and fired the shot heard 'round the globe." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Bedford flag on screen at the Bedford Free Town Library is the earliest well-known enduring intact battle flag in the USA. It is celebrated for having actually been the first UNITED STATE flag flown throughout the American Revolutionary War, as it is thought to have been carried by Nathaniel Web page's outfit of Minutemen to the Old North Bridge in Concord for the Battle of Concord on 19 April 1775.
Though the flag formerly had a boundary of silver tassels, the tassels were cut from it to decorate the outfit of Page's child.
The Latin adage on the flag, "Vince Aut Morire", means "Dominate or Die."
Two Brothers Rocks
When Guv Winthrop and his Deputy Thomas Dudley viewed their lands in early 1638, they chose to make use of two wonderful rocks on the eastern bank of the Concord River to divide the residential or commercial property. Winthrop asserted the land to one side of one rock; Dudley asserted the come down on the opposite side of the various other rock. They named the rocks "Both Brothers". Over the years, both males had numerous distinctions; nevertheless, they discovered to work together and also considered themselves "siblings" by their youngsters' marriage. The rocks have come to symbolize the men's spirit of cooperation and also democracy. The Two Bro Rocks can still be seen near the banks of the Concord River in the Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge This website has actually lately been recovered for an Eagle Precursor task by Dennis Warner in partnership with the UNITED STATE Fish as well as Wild animals service, and also the Bedford Historic Preservation Commission.  The location around the site was detailed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 as both Brothers Rocks-- Dudley Road Historic District.
Accessibility to the website is possible with the Altmann Sanctuary, called after Madeleine Altmann as well as a source of much of her video clip art.
Fantastic Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.
The early settlers called this area along the Concord River the "Great River Meadow" because they could harvest hay along with the turf financial institutions when the water retreated each summer season. Today, this 12-mile (19 km) stretch of freshwater marshes is a haven for migratory birds and wild animals. Deer, cottontail bunny, fox, raccoon, muskrat, beaver, weasel and over 200 types of birds might be seen right here.
Task Lane House
This traditional saltbox-style residence at 295 North Road go back to the early 18th century as well as was developed by Work Lane, the grandson of among Bedford's earliest inhabitants, Work Lane, a master craftsman. Task Lane was a church deacon as well as also a town policeman. His boy Work Lane was a Minuteman; he was injured in the fight of Concord. Your house as well as grounds, not far from Huckins Farm, has actually been brought back and also is open to the general public from 2-4 pm on the second and also fourth Sunday of the month, May through October.
Beforehand the morning of April 19, 1775, an alarm system seemed warning individuals of Bedford that British soldiers were marching from Boston to Concord. Their captain, Jonathan Willson, told them, "It is a cold morning meal boy, yet we'll give them a warm supper." The Fitch Tavern lies in Bedford facility, a little over a mile from Huckins Ranch.
John Wilson Corne Mill
The damages of this old mill over Vine Creek (on Wilson and also Old Burlington Roadway) were added to the nationwide historical register in 2003 (see picture). A 1972 "Bedford Site Scenic tour" states, "Website of the Wilson mills dating from about 1685; mills, dam, and pond passed from the Wilson family about 1770 to Oliver Bacon, then acquired by Jonas Gleason (1782) and also by Simeon Blodgett (1816 ); via the years, the website was operated as a grist mill, a sawmill, and later on a cider mill."