Belmont is a community in Middlesex Area, Massachusetts. It is a western suburb of Boston, Massachusetts, United States; as well as belongs to the greater Boston metropolitan area. Its population was 26,330 since July 1, 2018.
Belmont, MA. was established on March 10, 1859, by former residents of, and also land from the surrounding towns of Watertown to the south; Waltham, to the west; and Arlington, then known as West Cambridge, to the north. They additionally desired a community where no person can purchase or market alcohol (today, a person can buy alcohol in this town). The community was called after Bellmont, the 200 acres (0.8 kilometers) estate of the largest benefactor to its creation, John Perkins Cushing. Cushing Square is named after him and also what was left of his estate after it virtually burned to the ground became a Belmont Public Library branch. The easternmost area of the town, consisting of the western part of Fresh Pond, was annexed by Cambridge in 1880 in a dispute over an abattoir licensed in 1878 on Fresh Pond so that Cambridge can secure Fresh Fish pond, a part of its municipal water supply.
Preceding its incorporation, Belmont was an agricultural-based town, with numerous big farms servicing Boston for fruit and vegetables and livestock. It continued to be largely the same till the turn of the twentieth century, when trolley service, as well as far better roadways, were presented, making the town much more eye-catching as a house, most significantly for the structure of large estates.
Belmont's population grew by over 90 percent throughout the 1920s.
The business economics of the community moved from totally agrarian to a commercial greenhouse base; much of the blossom and also vegetable demands of Boston were met from the Belmont 'hothouses' which lingered until concerning 1983 when Edgar's, the last large greenhouse company in the area, shut.  Various other businesses in Belmont included mining clay as well as waste monitoring. The recovery of a large dump as well as quarry off Concord Avenue into websites for the Belmont Senior High School and the Clay Pit Fish pond stands as a lasting example of environmental preparation. With the intro of autos as well as highways, Belmont continued its change to a commuter-based suburb throughout the twentieth century.
Belmont was the house of the headquarters of the John Birch Society from the organization's starting in 1958 up until its moving to Appleton, Wisconsin in 1989.
Boston & Maine Railway Terminal at Belmont Center, now utilized for the MBTA Commuter Rail.
Belmont was when served by two railroads, the Fitchburg Railroad and also the Central Massachusetts Railway, both of which were later to become part of the Boston & Maine Railway system. Initially, both railroads had their very own tracks via town, yet in 1952 the Central Mass tracks were lifted between Hillside's Crossing and also Clematis Brook (Waltham).  Traffic was then rerouted over the Fitchburg line.
Today the MBTA owns the trackage that goes through Belmont. It is known as the Fitchburg Line. Traveler service on this line presently ends at Fitchburg, yet it once was the location's primary course into New york city-state. As of 2011, the MBTA was intending to extend future service to West Fitchburg.
Wellington Hill Station
The station stops at Belmont Facility and Waverley were when quality crossings, meaning pedestrian and automotive traffic had to go across directly over rails that remained in public roads. In 1907, the quality at Belmont Facility was gotten rid of by constructing a stone bridge to lug the tracks past a brand-new station building. At Waverley, the grade was lowered to make sure that the tracks ran under Trapelo Road.
A second railroad station building exists in Belmont, though it is not noticeable. The Wellington Hill Station was originally constructed in the 1840s as an independent school, not far from its current location in Belmont Facility. It was after that utilized by the Fitchburg Railroad from 1852 to 1879. When the railroad determined to replace the terminal with a bigger structure, the building was transferred to the Underwood Estate as well as utilized as a summer house. In 1974, the terminal was donated to the Belmont Historical Society. It was restored and also moved to its present place in 1980.
Belmont continues to be a primarily household suburban area with little development because of the 1950s. It is best known for the mansion-filled Belmont Hillside area, although most locals reside in more densely cleared up, low-lying locations around the capital. There are 3 significant malls in the community: Belmont Facility in the facility, Cushing Square in the south, and Waverley Square in the west. Town Hall and various other public buildings lie in Belmont Center. Huge systems of land from previous farms and greenhouse estates develop public or publicly available areas such as Rock Field, Environment (Mass Audubon), portions of the McLean Hospital tract and also different town fields.