Chestnut Hill is a town situated six miles (9.7 km) west of downtown Boston, Massachusetts, United States. Like all Massachusetts towns, Chestnut Hillside is not an incorporated metropolitan entity. It lies partially in Brookline in Norfolk County; partially in the city of Boston in Suffolk Area, as well as partly in the city of Newton in the Middlesex Area. Chestnut Hill Massachusetts‘ borders are specified by the 02467 ZIP Code. The name describes several small hills that neglect the 135-acre (546,000 m2) Chestnut Hillside Storage tank instead of one certain hill. Chestnut Hillside is best known as the home of Boston College, part of the Boston Marathon route, in addition to the Collegiate Gothic canvas of landscape designer Frederick Legislation Olmsted.
While most of Chestnut Hillside continued to be farmland well into the very early 20th century, the area around the reservoir was developed, in 1870, by landscape engineer Frederick Regulation Olmsted, developer of Central Park in New York City and of the Emerald Green Necklace in Boston and also Brookline.
Due to the relevance of its landscape and also design, the National Register of Historic Places, in 1986, assigned parts of Chestnut Hillside as historical areas. Examples of Colonial, Italianate, Tile, Tudor Rebirth, and Victorian architectural designs are evident in the town’s country estates as well as estates. The Boston College campus is itself a very early instance of Collegiate Gothic design.
Boston College Key University Historic District– 140 Republic Ave. (in Newton).
Chestnut Hillside Historic District– approximately bounded by Middlesex Rd., Storage Tank Ln., Denny Rd., Boylston St. and also Dunster Rd. (added November 17, 1985) (mostly in Brookline, however, consists of a couple of homes that splash right into Newton).
Chestnut Hillside Storage Tank Historic Area– within Boston city restrictions.
Old Chestnut Hillside Historic District– along Hammond St. and Chestnut Hill Rd. about bounded by Sign St. and Essex Rd., and also Suffolk Rd. (included October 4, 1986), within Newton city limitations.