Sullivan’s Island is a town and island in Charleston Region, South Carolina, United States, at the entry to Charleston Harbor, with a population of 1,791 at the 2010 census. The community belongs to the Charleston metropolitan area, and also is considered an extremely affluent suburb of Charleston.
Sullivan’s Island was the point of entry for about 40 percent of the 400,000 confined Africans brought to British North America; it has actually been likened to Ellis Island, the 19th-century reception factor for immigrants in New york city City. Throughout the American Change, the island was the site of a major battle at Fort Sullivan on June 28, 1776, since renamed Ft Moultrie in honor of the American leader at the fight.
On September 23, 1989, Hurricane Hugo came ashore near Sullivan’s Island; few individuals were planned for the devastation that followed in its wake. The eye of the storm passed straight over Sullivan’s Island. The Ben Sawyer Bridge was a casualty, breaking free of its locks. Before the tornado was over, one end of the bridge remained in the water as well as the various other was aiming skyward. Sullivan’s Island cops chief, Jack Lilien, was the last individual to leave the island prior to the bridge paved the way.
The island was known as O’Sullivan’s Island, named for Captain Florence O’Sullivan, that was based here as a hunt in the late 17th century. O’Sullivan was captain of among the ships in the initial fleet to establish English as well as Irish settlement at Charleston. In 1671, he ended up being surveyor general. He appears in the earliest document of Irish immigration to the Carolinas, mentioned as being taken on “at Kingsayle (Kinsale) in Ireland”.
Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina was utilized as a quarantine station for African slaves, that were housed in numerous “bug houses” on the island and checked for transmittable illness before they were delivered to Charleston for sale at public auction.
Sullivan’s Island was the port of entrance for over 40% of the approximated 400,000 slaves transferred from Africa to Britain’s North American Colonies, making it the biggest slave port in The United States and Canada. It is approximated that over half of all African Americans have forefathers that went through Sullivan’s Island.
Sullivan’s Island was used as a quarantine terminal for African slaves, that were housed in various “pest homes” on the island and checked for communicable illness before they were transferred to Charleston offer for sale at public auction. Sullivan’s Island was the port of access for over 40% of the approximated 400,000 servants delivered from Africa to Britain’s North American Nests, making it the biggest slave port in North America. It is approximated that more than half of all African Americans have forefathers who travelled through Sullivan’s Island.
Albert Wheeler Todd, a designer from Charleston, created a town hall for the island. For a lot of its history, the town, located on the southwest fifty percent of the island, was called “Moultrieville”. Later on, Atlanticville, an area on the north-east of the islands, merged with Moultrieville and also together both ended up being the town of Sullivan’s Island. In 1962, the brand-new Charleston Light was developed.
In May 2006, the Town of Sullivan’s Island became the very first municipality in South Carolina to ban smoking cigarettes in all public places. The regulation passed 4– 2 as well as the restriction went into effect in June.