Denham Springs is a city in Livingston Parish, Louisiana, USA. The 2010 demographics positioned the population at 10,215, up from 8,757 at the 2000 census. The city is the largest area of industrial and household advancement in Livingston Parish. Denham Springs and also Pedestrian are the only parish municipalities classified as cities in Louisiana.
The location has been known as Amite Springs, Hillside’s Springs, as well as Denham Springs.
The initial land cases of John Noblet and Alexander Hogue develop what is now the older area of Denham Springs, consisting of the very first property and also downtown. In 1828, William Denham, a Wilkinson Region, Mississippi, native, married Grace Hogue, the daughter of Alexander Hogue; and also 3 months later he bought the 640 acres (2.6 km2) initially asserted by his father-in-law. Denham purchased the land as well as a servant for $1,350.
A popular belief, sustained by formerly released backgrounds, is that William Denham uncovered the mineral springs on his residential or commercial property which a health spa swiftly grew up there. This belief resists reasoning, however, taking into consideration the variety of springs which may be discovered in this field even today, and also the length of time that elapsed prior to Denham arrived. No question Hogue as well as various other very early homeowners of the location relied on the springs for alcohol consumption water.
It was in the 1850s that Amite Springs ended up being synonymous with the location that is now Denham Springs.
On May 1, 1855, Denham marketed the Hogue system to Stamaty Covas of New Orleans for $3,050, as well as Denham at some point transferred to Baton Rouge and to Texas. Apparently during the time Covas possessed the Hogue-Denham tract, and before the Civil Battle, a health resort did flourish at Amite Springs– as the district was understood at the time. Several newspaper articles and promotions endure from that duration, which explain the hotel and also the centers which it used.
A short article in the Baton Rouge Daily Comet, on June 25, 1856, notes that a bridge of boats had been formed at Benton’s Ferryboat over the Amite River to help with travel to Amite Springs. Benton’s Ferryboat was the name of the post office which was developed near Amite Springs on January 25, 1856, as well as called for Robert Benton, its very first postmaster as well as additionally the driver of the ferryboat across the Amite.
It is thought that the hotel was melted during the Civil Battle, although no evidence to support this presumption has actually been discovered to this date. Complying With the Civil War, Covas, the New Orleans businessman, lost property of the Hogue-Denham tract when George L. Minton bought it for delinquent taxes of $124.00.
According to the 1882 act of sale, the land was bounded “east by Chambers, south by Noblet, west by the Amite River, north by Allen, as well as called the Denham Springs system.” This indicates the fact that although William Denham had relocated away nearly 30 years previously, his name was still associated with the mineral spring area.
Minton, the first mayor of Denham Springs and founder of the Denham Springs News, hence got title to much of what is currently the midtown section of Denham Springs. Conveyance records at the parish courthouse show that he after that started subdividing the system and offering the lots for residences as well as organizations. By this time, the huge Noblet holdings were additionally being partitioned as well as sold to newbies, and also the town that came to be Denham Springs Louisiana began to grow.