Hampden is a community in Hampden Location, Massachusetts, USA. The populace was 5,139 at the 2010 census. It comes from the Springfield, Massachusetts Metropolitan Statistical Location. The name of Hampden is John Hampden, an English patriot.
Hampden is a small, New England community in Western Massachusetts. It is, basically, a traveler town. The town is home to firms such as Town Food Mart, Monson Savings Bank, La Cucina Dining Establishment, It’s All About Me, Bilton’s Ranch Market, Compusign, Hill View Dining Establishment, the VFW as well as Reid’s Side.
The Hampden-Wilbraham area was as soon as called Minnechaug (“berry land” or “berry hillside”) to the Nipmuc Indians. They marketed it to William Pynchon of Springfield in 1674, as well as also the area then wound up being called Springfield Hill, yet it was unclear up (as South Wilbraham) up until concerning 1741. The first European residents were the Stebbins along with Hitchcock family members. The preliminary sawmill was erected on the Scantic at the V.F.W. building.
The “Rattlesnake Instance of 1761” is thought to have actually taken place on farmland in what is presently Hampden on August 7 of that year, when 22-year-old Timothy Merrick was removed by a snakebite while cutting his daddy’s area– an occasion celebrated by “On Springfield Mountain”, amongst the earliest ballads ever before written in The USA and also Canada, in addition to the basis for the contemporary individual track “Rattlesnake Hill”.
The arrangement was built on the banks of the Scantic River. The first grist as well as saw mills required the waters of the Scantic to supply them with power. Considered that their companies needed to be near the river, so additionally did the proprietors require to be close to their mills. A lot of the earliest homes were constructed bordering the river or its tributaries.
Throughout the first a century as South Wilbraham, Hampden, Mass. was a farming town with Wilbraham as the “mother” community.
At the time of splitting up from Wilbraham in 1878, markets were coming to be active in Hampden. There is every proof that Hampden can have well developed into among the many New England manufacturing facility or business communities.
Several elements, nonetheless, modified the destiny of the neighborhood. The lack of transportation to provide the products produced was more than likely the very best deterrent. When the recommended train from Stafford to Springfield failed, quarries and also mills were forced to utilize limited facilities, consequently reducing the shipment of items.
Discharges leveled numerous of the most significant mills– the Lacowsic in 1892, the Ravine in 1904– and additionally with the absence of advertising, other firms fell short. The arrival of vehicles made it possible for guys to uncover type of work beyond the area. By 1906, the populace was half what it had actually been a years previously.
There was after that the pattern back to agriculture, with great deals of orchards established throughout the place, with the herds of milk-producing cows, and with farmers expanding their numerous plants.
At worrying this time, numerous summer season type rental property were developed for Springfield house owners that vacationed in Hampden MA. From these, numerous year-round residences developed.
Now the mills and quarries, orchards along with cows concern gone, along with Hampden has become a family community.
Hampden established amongst the first World War One monoliths, simply months after the conclusion of the Battle, in January 1920, which still stands on the village green.
H.P. Lovecraft’s experience travelling with Hampden motivated his 1928 mythological frightening tale “The Dunwich Scary”. The fictional town of Dunwich is based upon Hampden as well as the bordering area.
Since 2000, Hampden locals have in fact gotten over 100 acres (0.40 km2) of open space and park land, including the elevation of Minnechaug Hillside, among the greater hills in the location. A trailhead and likewise car park on South Street was established. Minnechaug Hill tracks can furthermore be accessed from Old Coach Roadway, and likewise, with the exception of the autumn Turkey Shoot period, from the VFW car park on Trick St.