Saint Bernard is an unincorporated area in St. Bernard Church, Louisiana, United States. The community lies on Louisiana State Highway 300, eastern of the Mississippi River and 8 miles (13 kilometres) southeast of Chalmette.

St. Bernard Church (French: Paroisse de Saint-Bernard; Spanish: Parroquia de San Bernardo) is a church situated in the U.S. state of Louisiana. Since the 2010 demographics, the population was 35,897. The parish seat along with largest neighborhood is Chalmette. The church was created in 1807.

St. Bernard Church comes from the New Orleans– Metairie, LA Metropolitan Statistical Place. The parish is located southeast of New Orleans along with includes the Chandeleur Islands and likewise Chandeleur Sound in the eastern. It has in fact been positioned the fastest-growing region (church) in the USA from 2007 to 2008 by the U.S. Demographics Bureau, nonetheless it is just half as booming as it was in 2005. In 2018, its population was approximated to be 46,721.

St. Bernard Parish contains a large area of Spanish descent. In some cases referred to informally as “Spanish Cajuns”, the Isleños are come down from Canary Islanders. This linguistically separated group at some point produced its really own language. The Isleños fixed along Bayou Terre aux Boeufs, a relict distributary bayou of the Mississippi River. According to Dumont de Montigny, who remained in Louisiana from 1719 to 1738, Terre aux Bœufs (bœuf is ‘overview’ or ‘ox’ in French, thus Terre aux Bœufs indicates ‘land of oxen’) was named since duration, probably as a result of the presence of household or feral cattle there, and not due to bison (bison in French). This settlement was called La Concepción in addition to Nueva Gálvez by Spanish authorities, however was similarly called Tierra de Bueyes (Spanish for ‘land of oxen’). Saint Bernard, the tutelary saint of colonial guv Bernardo de Gálvez, was utilized in files to figure out the area.

St. Bernard Church is furthermore house to the earliest Filipino area in the USA, Saint Malo, Louisiana.

The main historic destination in St. Bernard Church LA is the Chalmette Combat zone (part of Jean Lafitte National Historic Park as well as additionally Protect), at which the Fight of New Orleans occurred on January 8, 1815, during the Battle of 1812. Numerous roadway names near the battlefield bear the names of the chief individuals, or take a pirate theme, because the pirate Jean Lafitte was considered to be a hero in the fight. A senior high school, later on primary and likewise now a middle school, was called in honor of Andrew Jackson, who was the commanding officer in charge of protecting New Orleans versus the British breach.

In 1863, Abraham Lincoln reviewed St. Bernard Church in the Emancipation Declaration as an area not in disobedience against the Union during the Civil War.

From 1919 to 1969, the church was effectively ruled as part of the fiefdom of Leander Perez, a community Democratic authorities in neighboring Plaquemines Church.

Location
According to the UNITED STATE Demographics Bureau, the church has a total area of 2,158 square miles (5,590 km2), of which 378 square miles (980 km2) is land as well as 1,781 square miles (4,610 km2) (83%) is water. It is the second biggest parish in Louisiana by full location and likewise has the biggest percent of location in water of any type of church.

proh2osolutions offers complete waterproofing services for Saint Bernard Louisiana

The church of St. Bernard accepts various tiny islands. The church is classified among the alluvial lands of the state. The ridges contain the cultivable lands of the church and likewise have an area of 37,000 acres (150 kilometres ²). The major streams are the Bayous Terre aux Boeufs and likewise La Loutre. There are numerous smaller streams which are effective water drainage canals. The leading tree selections is bald cypress, of which one of the most valuable trees have actually been reduced in addition to refined.

Saint Bernard is residence to four sites on the National Register of Historic Places: the Dr. Louis A. Ducros Residence, the Kenilworth Ranch Residence, Magnolia Pile, as well as the Sebastopol Plantation House.